Friday, June 14, 2013

mason jar how-to

The end of another school year is upon us.  This year is fun because I'm viewing it from both sides of the classroom door.  I am doubly excited to have my boys home and to get my first "real" summer vacation in years after having returned to teaching a few months ago.

And because I am back to work, I needed end-of-the-year gifts that I could put together in a jif.  Here's what I came up with:


I mean who doesn't love the mason jar craze?

To make these, you will need, a mason jar with lid and band, a straw (I found reusable ones at the kitchen store), a silicone grommet from the hardware store, and crop-o-dile punch (or drill and block of wood).

 Remove the lid from the band and punch several holes in a cluster to form a hole large enough to fit the grommet.  

The first one was a bit of trial-and-error, and then I used that one as a template to punch the rest quickly.

Then simply insert the grommet, slide in the straw, reassemble the jar, and you're done!

Don't you just love the vintage blue color they brought back? (Couldn't resist keeping one of these for myself!)

I placed an iced tea packet into the jars and topped them with cute little flags I printed from here.  I used the Print and Cut feature on my Silhouette Cameo to make it even easier.
These ones are to thank the administrative staff at the boys' school:

I used my Silhouette Cameo to cut and piece little toppers for my colleagues' jars:



And for my oldest son's teachers, these jars wrapped with crochet cozies {pattern here}:

Thanks for popping by for a visit!

Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Wow!!! Those are lovely! I'd be happy to get such a thoughtful present, but here in Venezuela it seems that people is not very appreciative to their children teachers, or at least they don't show their appreciation on public schools... Thank for sharing such a pretty idea. Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra! There is no job more important than educating our future. Thank you for all your do for the children in Venezuela!

      Delete
  2. Love every aspect of the project, and those KNIT mason cozies are TOOOOOO CUTE! Wonderful to show appreciation for those that work with our most precious resource, our kids.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my blog. I love that you are leaving a little note to let me know you were here!